Skip to main content

Winter Booties

My boys do not like winter. They do not like the cold nor do they like snow.

I worry about their little feet so I bought some dog booties for them to wear when they go out. Temperatures here can be as cold as -35 C so it's not pretty when you think of going out in "bare" feet.

The booties are made for little dogs. They are black felt material and have a velcro strap that allows you to tighten them on the dog's foot. So armed with my new buy, I went to grab Bruiser who refused to sit still to put the booties on. Because Bruiser is the daredevil of the two (he will leap from chairs or your arms because he thinks he can fly) I decided Rocki was the safer bet to try on the booties.

I got him in my lap and proceeded to put the first bootie on. When it was done I allowed him to walk so I could gauge if I had it on right. Obviously it was not tight enough as the first thing he did was run away, grab the bootie in his teeth and yank it off, and then proceeded to beat the crap out of it. He shook it, pawed it, growled at it, and then shook it some more. He would not come near me again so getting booties on them was a wasted effort. I tried again this winter - no luck. As you can guess, the doggie sweaters I bought are nothing more than a new irritant that they would rather beat up that wear.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ear infections

Dogs with long, floppy ears are prone to ear infections, and Shih-Tzus are certainly not immune. My oldest just got treated for one.

At first, I didn't even realize he had an infection. When I was growing up, we had a Lhasa Apso and whenever she got the infection, there was a distinct odor that came from her ear so we knew it was time to go to the vet. However, when I checked my oldest, there was no odor so I let it go longer than I should have because I thought that it was just overly itchy and perhaps a bit irritated because of this scratching. I realized something was wrong after my husband told me he got up in the middle of the night and found our oldest scratching his ear and crying. That was enough to convince me something wasn't right. I immediately made an appointment with the vet and, lo and behold, he had an ear infection.

So what are the signs? Assuming there is no odor (which is a dead giveaway), this is what you need to watch for:
1. repeated scratching of the affec…

Grooming the Shih-Tzu's eye area

The eye area, and the face in general, are the hardest parts of grooming simply because you need your dog to sit perfectly still in order to cut away in these delicate areas.

The most important tool? Sharp, snub-nosed scissors. I picked mine up at a holistic pet shop where the owners regularly show their dogs so they had a lot of expertise in grooming and actually cater to people who groom their dogs for show, so they had all the right supplies. However, many pet stores carry grooming equipment. The owners explained to me that the snub-nose is most important because if your pet does move, there is no pointed tip to harm them.

Now I have trained my boys to sit still by using voice commands...speaking gently to them and raising my voice slowly and adding firmness if they continue to squirm around. Now they will lay in my arms or sit quietly on the floor while I groom their face. This method of training requires an inordinate amount of patience (which, thankfully, I have). However, I know …

Shih-Tzu hairstyles

I, for one, am fascinated by the hairstyles given to Shih-Tzus. In particular the "top knot" seems to be the thing to do with this breed.

Although my boys have short hair, I've found some links for those who are a bit more adventurous and want to give their dog a bit more panache.

1. Shih-Tzu top knots - illustrations of how to tie the top knot, show knot and puppy knot.
2. A casual Shih-Tzu top knot and the illustrated guide to the Show knot (curling iron required. Really!)
3. One of the most fabulous pics I've seen of a Shih-Tzu. I have no idea how they got the dog to look so perfect, but I suspect it took quite a few hours and hairspray was involved.