Skip to main content

Sensitive Shih-Tzus


Life became a bit topsy-turvey for the boys when grandma recently moved into our home.

We got a call last week after she had fallen on her outside steps. It turned out she had a concussion, smashed up her knee and broke her shoulder. Because the hospital wouldn't release her unless she had somewhere to go where she had 24 hour care, we decided she would move in with us since we have no other family in the city. And we were not going to leave her alone in a hospital. We also had to put her house up for sale as she could not go back and live on her own again given her age, the size of the house and the enormous number of stairs she had to tackle each day.

During this process the boys have been extremely sensitive to her needs when they are around her. She spends most of her days in a chaise in the family room watching TV, doing puzzles and talking on the phone to her friends. However, from the day we brought her home the dogs sensed that something was wrong - Grandma wasn't bending down to pat them nor was she picking them up to cuddle. When she first sat down, they very carefully jumped on the end of the chaise by her feet and gingerly made their way closer to her, sniffing constantly in the direction of her left arm. Usually they will come and sit in your lap, often wiggling around each other to get the "best seat". In her case, they never got on her...they would carefully position themselves on the chaise around her and lay down quietly.

When we are in the house, they play and run amok. When we have to leave Grandma in order to get her house ready for sale, she tells us that the boys lay quietly around her the whole time we are gone. When my husband has a nap on the couch, the boys will at some point jump on him when they decide he's slept enough and it's time for him to play with them. When Grandma has a nap, she often wakes up to find the boys sleeping quietly at her feet. They do not, however, wake her up. If they want Grandma to pat them, rather than jump on her they will run to me, jump at my legs to get my attention and then run back beside her chair wagging their tail. It's at that time that I will pick each one up separately and Grandma will pat them.

So as each day goes on, we continue to be amazed by our Shih-Tzus' capacity to be sensitive to injury, even though we have no way to communicate this to them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ear infections

Dogs with long, floppy ears are prone to ear infections, and Shih-Tzus are certainly not immune. My oldest just got treated for one.

At first, I didn't even realize he had an infection. When I was growing up, we had a Lhasa Apso and whenever she got the infection, there was a distinct odor that came from her ear so we knew it was time to go to the vet. However, when I checked my oldest, there was no odor so I let it go longer than I should have because I thought that it was just overly itchy and perhaps a bit irritated because of this scratching. I realized something was wrong after my husband told me he got up in the middle of the night and found our oldest scratching his ear and crying. That was enough to convince me something wasn't right. I immediately made an appointment with the vet and, lo and behold, he had an ear infection.

So what are the signs? Assuming there is no odor (which is a dead giveaway), this is what you need to watch for:
1. repeated scratching of the affec…

Grooming the Shih-Tzu's eye area

The eye area, and the face in general, are the hardest parts of grooming simply because you need your dog to sit perfectly still in order to cut away in these delicate areas.

The most important tool? Sharp, snub-nosed scissors. I picked mine up at a holistic pet shop where the owners regularly show their dogs so they had a lot of expertise in grooming and actually cater to people who groom their dogs for show, so they had all the right supplies. However, many pet stores carry grooming equipment. The owners explained to me that the snub-nose is most important because if your pet does move, there is no pointed tip to harm them.

Now I have trained my boys to sit still by using voice commands...speaking gently to them and raising my voice slowly and adding firmness if they continue to squirm around. Now they will lay in my arms or sit quietly on the floor while I groom their face. This method of training requires an inordinate amount of patience (which, thankfully, I have). However, I know …

Shih-Tzu hairstyles

I, for one, am fascinated by the hairstyles given to Shih-Tzus. In particular the "top knot" seems to be the thing to do with this breed.

Although my boys have short hair, I've found some links for those who are a bit more adventurous and want to give their dog a bit more panache.

1. Shih-Tzu top knots - illustrations of how to tie the top knot, show knot and puppy knot.
2. A casual Shih-Tzu top knot and the illustrated guide to the Show knot (curling iron required. Really!)
3. One of the most fabulous pics I've seen of a Shih-Tzu. I have no idea how they got the dog to look so perfect, but I suspect it took quite a few hours and hairspray was involved.