Skip to main content

When your dog becomes aggressive

When your sweet little boy starts behaving like a mean old junkyard dog, it's time to consider neutering.

Aggression could result from a number of different things such as a new dog (or cat or other pet) entering the home (as a resident or visitor) or tresspassing within the broader boundaries of your dog's "territory", another person moving in, a complete change of residence or a bad experience that perhaps you are unaware of. Although dogs do have a natural instinct to protect their loved ones and their territory which neutering will not affect, aggression in a male dog that appears out of the blue when no real changes have occurred and no "threats" can be discerned may indicate it's time to look into having him neutered.

Neutering will make your male dog less aggressive, reduce their tendency to roam, make them less prone to marking the territory, and reduce their tendency to mount other dogs (and in our case, their big cushions!). Neutering will also reduce the risk of testicular tumors and prostate disease. It will not affect their inherent playfulness or friendliness.

Neutering also helps to keep down the pet population. If you haven't neutered your male dog because you plan on breeding him, think long and hard about your reasons for doing so. Is it purely for profit? If so, shame on you! There are other ways to make money. Is it because you want another dog that is sired by your male? If so, are you prepared to ensure that all the other puppies resulting from a litter are placed in good homes? Do you know the buyers or are you willing to check them out thoroughly to make sure the puppies aren't abused or become another homeless statistic?

Neutering is, as always, a personal choice. However, please read about it and talk to your vet about the pros and cons of this procedure so that you can make an informed decision.

Comments

Dana said…
My shih tzu is 13 years old and my vet suggested neutering while his prostate is okay i'm worried about him being put to sleep his blood work and lung x-rays were good though. what are some toughts on this procedure safe or not at his age!!!
C.J. Denis said…
My vet said that 7 years is the latest we should get our dogs neutered because they can be susceptible to problems like prostate cancer. But I'm wondering at 13 if his body can handle it? I shudder to think of the boys neutering process (hence, I'm not a vet!), but if it can prevent other worse problems, perhaps you should have him neutered.

CJ
kat40 said…
I've got a four and a half year old shih tzu who's become aggressive; growling and snapping at other dogs, there's only one or two he's ok with whom he knows fairly well. He's nipped a couple of people lately too who thank goodness have been very understanding and not taken it any further! i always warn people that he 'nips' and they stay away, it's a pity as otherwise he's a very affectionate dog and i love him to bits but then im biased!
i've made an appointment for next week to have him castrated as i've been strongly advised to have it done for a] health reasons, by the vet on numerous occasions and for the aggression by others who have had similar problems
someone did say though that castration could make him worse if the problems were more deep seated. He was attacked while young by a much bigger dog, he was unharmed but very shaken and a few weeks ago a big dog pounced on him and sat on him before i could react
i suppose that's a factor
i just want to help him! i'll try any thing but i'd be devastated to lose him!:(

Popular posts from this blog

Ear infections

Dogs with long, floppy ears are prone to ear infections, and Shih-Tzus are certainly not immune. My oldest just got treated for one.

At first, I didn't even realize he had an infection. When I was growing up, we had a Lhasa Apso and whenever she got the infection, there was a distinct odor that came from her ear so we knew it was time to go to the vet. However, when I checked my oldest, there was no odor so I let it go longer than I should have because I thought that it was just overly itchy and perhaps a bit irritated because of this scratching. I realized something was wrong after my husband told me he got up in the middle of the night and found our oldest scratching his ear and crying. That was enough to convince me something wasn't right. I immediately made an appointment with the vet and, lo and behold, he had an ear infection.

So what are the signs? Assuming there is no odor (which is a dead giveaway), this is what you need to watch for:
1. repeated scratching of the affec…

Grooming the Shih-Tzu's eye area

The eye area, and the face in general, are the hardest parts of grooming simply because you need your dog to sit perfectly still in order to cut away in these delicate areas.

The most important tool? Sharp, snub-nosed scissors. I picked mine up at a holistic pet shop where the owners regularly show their dogs so they had a lot of expertise in grooming and actually cater to people who groom their dogs for show, so they had all the right supplies. However, many pet stores carry grooming equipment. The owners explained to me that the snub-nose is most important because if your pet does move, there is no pointed tip to harm them.

Now I have trained my boys to sit still by using voice commands...speaking gently to them and raising my voice slowly and adding firmness if they continue to squirm around. Now they will lay in my arms or sit quietly on the floor while I groom their face. This method of training requires an inordinate amount of patience (which, thankfully, I have). However, I know …

Shih-Tzu hairstyles

I, for one, am fascinated by the hairstyles given to Shih-Tzus. In particular the "top knot" seems to be the thing to do with this breed.

Although my boys have short hair, I've found some links for those who are a bit more adventurous and want to give their dog a bit more panache.

1. Shih-Tzu top knots - illustrations of how to tie the top knot, show knot and puppy knot.
2. A casual Shih-Tzu top knot and the illustrated guide to the Show knot (curling iron required. Really!)
3. One of the most fabulous pics I've seen of a Shih-Tzu. I have no idea how they got the dog to look so perfect, but I suspect it took quite a few hours and hairspray was involved.