Skip to main content

Why two are better than one


Two dogs generally equal more work...two to bathe...two to groom...two to feed. But the benefits outweigh the perceived disadvantages.

For one thing, bathing two is not too much harder than bathing one. Throw both of them in the tub and you're done in 10 minutes. Feeding? Two don't eat much more than one, especially these little guys. Grooming? So it takes 30 minutes instead of 15 minutes.

Our oldest was depressed before Rocki came along. I didn't realize it at the time...how could you? But after we got Rocki, Bruiser realized he had a purpose. He took it upon himself to treat Rocki like his own child...he taught him the rules of the house through body language, growls and barks. Rocki is always clean...Bruiser "washes" his eyes, ears and face every night and Rocki has learned the routine and reciprocates with his brother. I no longer have to purchase expensive products to clean the dirt from their eyes because they look after each other. After their outdoor bathroom break? Again, they clean each other off, thanks to Bruiser for teaching this to the little one.

Play time? It's fun time now that they have a live body to chase toys with, jump on couches with, and generally run amok with. I don't have to worry as much about them getting exercise because they exercise each other. When one is too dragged out, one will motive the other to run through the house and up and down the stairs, through the living room and round and round the tables until each of them collapes from exhaustion.

Psychologically they are such happy little guys because they have a companion just like them to chum around with. When company comes...sure, there's a bit of competition for attention...but in the end they are buddies through and through and share the pats, the hugs and kisses.

When I first suggested getting a companion for Bruiser, my husband looked at me like I had grown horns. After I brought Rocki home, he admitted that it was the best thing we could have done.

Comments

Anonymous said…
i have just got a boy 2 months ago. Brilliant dog, i live on my own and am out 8 hours a day 5 days a week and am wondering about getting another boy to keep him company. Has anyone any advice about this, he seems fine and good at the moment. if i do, when shoud i think about getting another one ...thanks

Popular posts from this blog

Ear infections

Dogs with long, floppy ears are prone to ear infections, and Shih-Tzus are certainly not immune. My oldest just got treated for one.

At first, I didn't even realize he had an infection. When I was growing up, we had a Lhasa Apso and whenever she got the infection, there was a distinct odor that came from her ear so we knew it was time to go to the vet. However, when I checked my oldest, there was no odor so I let it go longer than I should have because I thought that it was just overly itchy and perhaps a bit irritated because of this scratching. I realized something was wrong after my husband told me he got up in the middle of the night and found our oldest scratching his ear and crying. That was enough to convince me something wasn't right. I immediately made an appointment with the vet and, lo and behold, he had an ear infection.

So what are the signs? Assuming there is no odor (which is a dead giveaway), this is what you need to watch for:
1. repeated scratching of the affec…

Grooming the Shih-Tzu's eye area

The eye area, and the face in general, are the hardest parts of grooming simply because you need your dog to sit perfectly still in order to cut away in these delicate areas.

The most important tool? Sharp, snub-nosed scissors. I picked mine up at a holistic pet shop where the owners regularly show their dogs so they had a lot of expertise in grooming and actually cater to people who groom their dogs for show, so they had all the right supplies. However, many pet stores carry grooming equipment. The owners explained to me that the snub-nose is most important because if your pet does move, there is no pointed tip to harm them.

Now I have trained my boys to sit still by using voice commands...speaking gently to them and raising my voice slowly and adding firmness if they continue to squirm around. Now they will lay in my arms or sit quietly on the floor while I groom their face. This method of training requires an inordinate amount of patience (which, thankfully, I have). However, I know …

Shih-Tzu hairstyles

I, for one, am fascinated by the hairstyles given to Shih-Tzus. In particular the "top knot" seems to be the thing to do with this breed.

Although my boys have short hair, I've found some links for those who are a bit more adventurous and want to give their dog a bit more panache.

1. Shih-Tzu top knots - illustrations of how to tie the top knot, show knot and puppy knot.
2. A casual Shih-Tzu top knot and the illustrated guide to the Show knot (curling iron required. Really!)
3. One of the most fabulous pics I've seen of a Shih-Tzu. I have no idea how they got the dog to look so perfect, but I suspect it took quite a few hours and hairspray was involved.