Skip to main content

Five Things That Shih-Tzus Love!

Have you ever wondered what makes these adorable little creatures really happy? Here's a quick list of what our dogs (and their brothers and sisters) really enjoy.

1. A big blanket/comforter/afghan draped off the side of a couch or chair. They love sleeping on it, and often like to hide behind it between the blanket and couch and snooze (so watch where you're stepping!).

2. Side scratches. Not unlike the tummy scratch, they will lay on their back and contort themselves slightly sideways so you can scratch the side of their head, ears and body all the way down to their legs.

3. A big cushion. I bought a body cushion for the cottage but ended up bringing it home when we redecorated. It's got a velvet like cover and is approximately 4 feet long. They love to sleep on it - one on either end - at night. But not on top of it...they sleep like we do on their backs with their bodies on their sheepskin rugs and their heads and necks on the pillow. They also love to scratch at it, fight with it, drag it around and, at times, it can serve as the barrier when they're chasing each other in circles. Overall, an excellent $14.99 investment.

4. Sitting at the highest point of a chair or couch. Our little guys love being up high and have made the top of the couch's back cushion a favorite resting place. I put a blanket there and they both park themselves side by side and gaze out the window, watching people and dogs go by, storms, birds, bugs and, sometimes, absolutely nothing at all.

5. Music. Our little guys love soft, easy-listening music. We have a channel on TV that just shows continous weather information and in the background they play relaxing music. I often leave that on for them when we go out and often, when I'm doing housework and don't want them in the way, I'll put it on and they automatically wander over to their cushion and settle in for a nap.

These are just a few things that we've noticed, and I'm sure the list will grow over time. But if you're wondering how to make your Shih-Tzu happy, give some of thse things a try.

Comments

Anonymous said…
well we have a shih-tzu over a year and i'm going crazy about her bad habits like eating her own poop.
Also is not way that a dog still hasn been trained I am about to give it away please HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!
C.J. Denis said…
The poop eating is a phase. Our oldest, in his first year, used to gobble up goose poop like he'd never seen food! The easiest way to get them off that habit is to put a few drops of tabasco or other hot sauce on the poop.

For training, the quick answer is persistence. Lots of praise for doing it right...an angry tone when they've messed in the house. Do not yell (even though we feel like screaming) because this makes them very nervous and chances are good they'll go again in the house. Hope this helps.

CJ
Anonymous said…
i have a shih tzu and he used to eat his poop, the vet has this powder to sprinkle on the food that will make her not eat her poop, it takes like a couple weeks to work.
as for the training, persistance, if you start yelling they are not going to stop, and never hit your dog, if yuo get to the point where you cant handle it take her to obidence school

Popular posts from this blog

Ear infections

Dogs with long, floppy ears are prone to ear infections, and Shih-Tzus are certainly not immune. My oldest just got treated for one.

At first, I didn't even realize he had an infection. When I was growing up, we had a Lhasa Apso and whenever she got the infection, there was a distinct odor that came from her ear so we knew it was time to go to the vet. However, when I checked my oldest, there was no odor so I let it go longer than I should have because I thought that it was just overly itchy and perhaps a bit irritated because of this scratching. I realized something was wrong after my husband told me he got up in the middle of the night and found our oldest scratching his ear and crying. That was enough to convince me something wasn't right. I immediately made an appointment with the vet and, lo and behold, he had an ear infection.

So what are the signs? Assuming there is no odor (which is a dead giveaway), this is what you need to watch for:
1. repeated scratching of the affec…

Grooming the Shih-Tzu's eye area

The eye area, and the face in general, are the hardest parts of grooming simply because you need your dog to sit perfectly still in order to cut away in these delicate areas.

The most important tool? Sharp, snub-nosed scissors. I picked mine up at a holistic pet shop where the owners regularly show their dogs so they had a lot of expertise in grooming and actually cater to people who groom their dogs for show, so they had all the right supplies. However, many pet stores carry grooming equipment. The owners explained to me that the snub-nose is most important because if your pet does move, there is no pointed tip to harm them.

Now I have trained my boys to sit still by using voice commands...speaking gently to them and raising my voice slowly and adding firmness if they continue to squirm around. Now they will lay in my arms or sit quietly on the floor while I groom their face. This method of training requires an inordinate amount of patience (which, thankfully, I have). However, I know …

Shih-Tzu hairstyles

I, for one, am fascinated by the hairstyles given to Shih-Tzus. In particular the "top knot" seems to be the thing to do with this breed.

Although my boys have short hair, I've found some links for those who are a bit more adventurous and want to give their dog a bit more panache.

1. Shih-Tzu top knots - illustrations of how to tie the top knot, show knot and puppy knot.
2. A casual Shih-Tzu top knot and the illustrated guide to the Show knot (curling iron required. Really!)
3. One of the most fabulous pics I've seen of a Shih-Tzu. I have no idea how they got the dog to look so perfect, but I suspect it took quite a few hours and hairspray was involved.