There are some foods that we eat every day and don't give a second thought to. These foods, however, can harm your dog. Here is a list:
- Chocolate - dangerous because it contains theobromine and caffeine, both of which are toxic to dogs. However, carob, white chocolate and cocoa butter contain little or none of these toxins. Unsweetened chocolate is the most dangerous. One ounce for a 20 lb dog is dangerous.
- Macadamia nuts - one ounce of nuts for a 20 lb dog can be toxic.
- tomatoes and tomato plants - the plants contain atropine which can cause heart arrythmias and tremors. The highest levels of atropine are in the leaves and stems of the tomato plant, followed by unripe green tomatoes and then red tomatoes.
- onions and garlic - one tablespoon of onion or one teaspoon of garlic per 10 lb dog can destroy red blood cells.
- grapes and raisins - 4 ounces ingested by a 20 lb dog will cause kidney failure
- any food that has mould on it or is spoiled (even slightly)
- raw meat and raw bones (this one is debatable. There are some advocates of this kind of food and some against it. Do your own research)
- alcoholic beverages, marijuana, coffee and tobacco - I think it goes without saying that you do not give these products to your pets. However, pets have been known to eat and drink thing they shouldn't. How many times have you seen the gobble up something they shouldn't? Call your vet immediately if your pet has ingested any of these products. And please, if you are a smoker, don't leave your ashtrays within reach of your pet or throw your cigarette butts in the yard where your dog can roam.