Skip to main content

Finding the right groomer

Once I took the oldest dog to a well-known pet store that offered grooming services. He shook the whole time he was there and cried when we left. It broke our hearts but the place came highly recommended and he needed to be groomed.

When we got him back at the appointed time, which was six hours later, he looked great. Well groomed, relatively calm...but he was sure happy to see us.

I didn't know how we were going to do it the next time. I guess part of me does trust these companies to some extent, but then again how do you know how your pet is really being treated?

Enter the mobile grooming service. I had researched the concept and decided to try one. Well, the woman arrived with her own table, a cover for the floor and all the tools she needed to properly groom a Shitsu. She doesn't bathe them, but because I started bathing them regularly when they were young, they don't give me any problems so that really wasn't an issue.

Our dog was a bit nervous at first, but because he was in his own home and my husband and I were there for reassurance, she didn't really have any problem with him. We were happy with her and called her back.

As time went one, our dog was so comfortable with her and his surroundings that he sat still the whole time, even when she clipped his face. There is no need for the neck chain with him.

When our new puppy needed a cut, we just included him on the bill. We made sure he watched while his brother got cut and then, when it was his turn, he imitated his brother and was perfectly still and quiet while the groomer worked on him.

I can't recommend a good mobile groomer enough...your dogs will be comfortable, well groomed, and you can be assured that they are not being abused in any way because you are there watching them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ear infections

Dogs with long, floppy ears are prone to ear infections, and Shih-Tzus are certainly not immune. My oldest just got treated for one.

At first, I didn't even realize he had an infection. When I was growing up, we had a Lhasa Apso and whenever she got the infection, there was a distinct odor that came from her ear so we knew it was time to go to the vet. However, when I checked my oldest, there was no odor so I let it go longer than I should have because I thought that it was just overly itchy and perhaps a bit irritated because of this scratching. I realized something was wrong after my husband told me he got up in the middle of the night and found our oldest scratching his ear and crying. That was enough to convince me something wasn't right. I immediately made an appointment with the vet and, lo and behold, he had an ear infection.

So what are the signs? Assuming there is no odor (which is a dead giveaway), this is what you need to watch for:
1. repeated scratching of the affec…

Grooming the Shih-Tzu's eye area

The eye area, and the face in general, are the hardest parts of grooming simply because you need your dog to sit perfectly still in order to cut away in these delicate areas.

The most important tool? Sharp, snub-nosed scissors. I picked mine up at a holistic pet shop where the owners regularly show their dogs so they had a lot of expertise in grooming and actually cater to people who groom their dogs for show, so they had all the right supplies. However, many pet stores carry grooming equipment. The owners explained to me that the snub-nose is most important because if your pet does move, there is no pointed tip to harm them.

Now I have trained my boys to sit still by using voice commands...speaking gently to them and raising my voice slowly and adding firmness if they continue to squirm around. Now they will lay in my arms or sit quietly on the floor while I groom their face. This method of training requires an inordinate amount of patience (which, thankfully, I have). However, I know …

Raw Food Diets - Are They Healthy?

Proponents of the raw food diet basically say that dogs should be fed raw meat, vegetables and bones...basically what they would eat in the wild. In addition, they say that your dogs should never eat grains, rice or other carbohydrates. Why? Apparently, grains are one of the biggest sources of allergies in dogs and, because grains make up the majority of commercial dog food, our pets will be free of allergy-related symptoms once they start the raw food diet (and they won't have flatulence).

When can your dog eat chicken bones? Apparently on the raw food diet. I was taught to never give a dog chicken bones, but it seems you can if they're raw because raw bones are not dangerous - they are soft enough to bend easily and break well for the dog to digest.

Those in favor of the diet claim dogs are healthier, have more energy, require fewer trips to the vet, have fewer weight problems, produce much less stool and stool is firm and disintegrates easily. Apparently raw food also cleans…